Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 01:21:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Total Members: 4940
Latest: Nox93
Stats
Total Posts: 148029
Total Topics: 9702
Online Today: 78
Online Ever: 2902
Blocked Spammers: 47701
(March 19, 2010, 09:45:28 pm)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 54
Total: 59
the other side of Selassie
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: the other side of Selassie  (Read 6905 times)
confucius
« on: December 21, 2007, 01:57:27 pm »

love and respect to all Africans, Ethiopians, Jamaicans. 

Selassie was a great leader, an African king who did many good things for his people, ruling the only African nation to resist European colonialism.  but I just recently found out that there is another side to the man, the leader, and his regime. 

i was watching some reggae documentaries with an African friend, and during some footage of Selassie he mentioned that Selassie murdered many many people who opposed him while assuming power and during his often cruel totalitarian rule, perpetrated borderline genocide against the Eritreans, and that he is considered to be a minor Stalin by many in Africa.

Ethiopians under the leadership of Haile Selassie, have
murdered school children in elementary, high schools, colleges wholesale
without remorse or any sense of humanity. Haile Selassie's troops also
murdered and executed intellectuals, laborers, civil servants, and menial
workers simply because they were ERITREA'S.

Simultaneously, as they had spread dread and death in our cities, they
moved to our rural areas in the lowlands and burned our peoples villages,
raped our mothers and sisters, and conducted wholesale massacres in the
vicinities of Keren, Augured, and Tessenei. In due time, we humiliated Haile
Selassie and as a result of our determination to stand against EVIL, we saw
Haile Selassie's demise and death.

from -- http://www.ephrem.org/~ephrem/archives/1999/m6935.html
edit by Densen... link don't work...

wanting to find more information, i found this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-Ryszard-Kapuscinski/dp/0679722033/ref=pd_ts_b_3?ie=UTF8&s=books

His composite portrait of Selassie's crumbling imperium is an astonishing, wildly funny creation, beginning with the very first interview. "It was a small dog," recalls an anonymous functionary, "a Japanese breed. His name was Lulu. He was allowed to sleep in the Emperor's great bed. During various ceremonies, he would run away from the Emperor's lap and pee on dignitaries' shoes. The august gentlemen were not allowed to flinch or make the slightest gesture when they felt their feet getting wet. I had to walk among the dignitaries and wipe the urine from their shoes with a satin cloth. This was my job for ten years." (Well, it's a living.)

Elsewhere, the interviewees venture into tragic or grotesque or downright unbelievable terrain.

from reggae journalist John Eden:

Also worth mentioning that during his reign a lot of black people looked up to Selassie who weren't rastas, just because he was a black world leader with some great speeches about the world situation.

The fact that he was just as ****** up as some white rulers is hardly surprising.

more information:

http://libcom.org/history/1935-1980s-the-reign-of-haile-selassie-in-ethiopia

i want to ask you brothers and sisters, why is this side of Selassie NEVER talked about in Jamaica?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:09:12 pm by Densen »
Cristy

LOOORD ME TYAD RASTA ME TYAD ME TYAD RASTA

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:28:37 pm »

maybe this should have been in the Haile Selassie I forum

I moved it inna dis section sound's betta!!!

Well This is a  side of H.I.M. dat Rastafrarian's obviously  cannot see !!!!
I studied long time the italian colony so I knew  dis ,
this is occidental interpretation of de history .
I mean we can't have only one interpretation of history, it depend's from wich source come!!!!!
And 'bout this is quite difficolt to get  right source, ( many important book are still banned from British or Italian Government!!!!)

by the way
Religion cannot be analyzed inna scientific way, since long time human beings
fight for dis!!!!!!
Did yu meet Jesus phisically Huh? or Prophet Mohammed Huh? or Buddah
dey are inside your heart like de Most Hig fi Rasta!!!!
DAt's mistycal ting !!!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:37:17 pm by Cristy »

Cristy

LOOORD ME TYAD RASTA ME TYAD ME TYAD RASTA

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:29:06 pm »

Ethiopian's and Eritrea were fighting for more than 50th  years  as you know,
There were many people died in both country's !!
Who's right Huh?
Knowbody is right in any war!!!!!!

The original source are not clear they said what they are interesting  to show to ppl , and they catch what they don't!!!!!! ( as always ).
But this nuh matta , when we speak about any war as I said B4 knowbody is inna right position

When I was speaking about banned book , I was meaning about atrocities that Italian did in Ethiopia.
We got different version of this History , the blodklat Italian  government neva show up what's happened there!!!!!
And British they also have very important document about it!!!!

CoconutDumpling

Conquering Lion!

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 06:57:58 am »

All mi haffi seh dere is always 3 sides to a story....u will find all kind of peope to say bad tings about christ, Garvey, Malcom, King and all the prophets.  You can accuse the Israelites/Hebrews of the same atrocities when they were supposedly lead by Yahweh during wartime.  The point here is what?  A man can tell his troops to not do dis and dat but does dat mean on the battlefield/in the heat of battle they always adhere to what him seh?  In ur posting I have yet to hear that Selassie himself did these things.

This is coming from someone who is 'Rasta' but nuh view Selassie as 'God'.

Of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: FEAR JAH and keep his COMMANDMENTS: for THIS IS THE WHOLE DUTY OF MAN!  Eccl:12v12-13

dr ivan

outernational greetings to all music lovers!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:01:42 pm »

tanx confucius for dis interesting post,
nice dat you provide links for your sources

your question
"i want to ask you brothers and sisters, why is this side of Selassie NEVER talked about in Jamaica?"
i would answer by saying love is blind
the children of african citizens kidnapped, sold into slavery, shipped across the world and systematically torn from their heritage needed something other than the christian spirituality sold by the white slavemasters.......somethin unique, smg "african" (as far as i know rastafarianism is not big in ithiopia..) and thru some creative interpretation of biblical texts selassie was singled out as this picture of a higher self.
Very conveniently far away on the other side of the planet his person was ideal for  the projection of downpressed and largely uneducated sufferers out of di ghetto. and ideal for ignoring any "darker" sides there may have been to the man....
The magic of this projection (visualisation) of a higher self worked and helped uplift many people and provide dem with a healthy royal picture of themselves. It also brought wealth to poor corners of JA thru musical praising of the King.
So somewhere i agree wid Christy it is a mystical ting

i like your post cause i am often frustrated by the unreflected nature of the lyrics in so much of reggae, which is sometimes also expressed by the behaviour of some artists who only wanna talk and not listen and are afraid to hear some truths.......

one love
dr ivan

ps. check jah mali's serious question (ras in riddim)
finally a tune a bit critical of herb, another area of our beloved scene where bullshit say nuttin lyrics are the order of the day.......so smoke another one fi me if it make you listen more than you talk....

care and share
DeLastG

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:20:33 am »

many are called, few are chosen....
bongomanna

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 02:16:44 am »

Jah love to everybody
i'm  whooly  agry with RasKuralka ,Kapuchinsky  grows under est europe comunism repression, i think such experience make him blind whit some hatred & need of revenge inside. H.I.M. works all his own life to rejoin different  People & different religions  to create  united Africa ,to create  "...... A new race ..........owning our last alligiance not to the nations but to our fellow men whithin the human comunity" . moreover should be better overstand that Ethiopia was a country that not longer then 70 years ago was living in the same way then 3000 years ago . Who among us is really able to understand what means to seat on that throne! He rules Ethiopia towards modernity trying do not loose the ancient tradition of Real God belivers,real faithful people.
Today as today H.I.M. is beloved all over the world ,who can say that such things was  possible without the willing of the Almighty Father ?  What about The Holy Bible?  & the Ark of covenant? as Cristy  told it is a mistyc things.
Anyway HE is the ONE that in front of the society of the nation in Geneve gave advise to all the world that Ethiopia should be just the first victim of the crazy fool nazi/fascist ideology but then all the world should have to face it.
even for that only i give thanks to H.I.M.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:54:24 am by bongomanna »

I-man don't like to get mix up
By pushing me mouth in something I can't prove
I-man don't take hearsay
Dem kind of things bring mix up
I-man no say what next man say
I like to prove things for I-self
bongomanna

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 01:46:34 pm »

respect
during the Haile Selassie reign was not a regime! to speak so it is to speak without knowledge.
 anyway each & every such impotrant person has promoters & detractors .But if u a looking  to meet HIM
it is not on the books or newspaper then u shall find HIM. if  u a trying to knock down HIM u a loosing your time.
irie. 

I-man don't like to get mix up
By pushing me mouth in something I can't prove
I-man don't take hearsay
Dem kind of things bring mix up
I-man no say what next man say
I like to prove things for I-self
tobijafa

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:50 am »

All the prophets of man through out history would tell you the same thing
"I am just a Man"
it is we who elevate them to  holy place.  Yes he butchered, Gandhi unleashed sectarian violence that slew many, christ was a rebel and men died in his name.  Those who sacrafice themselves for the greatest of good are to be judged by the same measure in the end.  Their visions remain
Ethri

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 03:28:24 pm »

Dis ah polish writer, so I can tell what is my opinion. He works good with Russians also and as many knows Russians have always their history and answers for their questions. At the moment of writing this book we have in Poland, so much troubles with Russia, cause of dem behaviour. I wanna seh dat many of works could be not true as we think they are. Also I heard Kapuscinski only talk with people who was near to Selassie I, but dem not like HIM. Next fact is this, dat after end of Haile's rule, so many people say wrong and bad abouit him. We know dat he done good and he done wrong. Kapuscinki's books was translated to many languages. He started to tell us there dat Selassie I is very good person and he rules good his country, but in next chapters he said he is a worst of bad.. I dont know why he change mind in his book, but we know dat best is to search roots and gain knowledge. So..

My ting is done. Think we could read Kapuscinki's book, but with a wink of eye, yuh kno?

made himself a name as good journalist by asking random people on the street for random stories that fit his view of the world. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I bredda, I tied to seh widout sayin dat, dunno whats the people are.. random random.. or maybe higher places, but it doesnt matter. (just look up again and think) Communism in my country wasnt good, so I know some of bad tings wont see daily light..

~Ras Ethri I Aka I Tree

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:33:14 pm by Ethri »

"All Dem ah Talk, Run Off Dem Mout',
We Praise King Selassie I, Dem Cyaan Get We Out,
All Dem ah Talk wit' dem Flattering Tongue...
Jah Kingdom still ah fe Come!"

~True Love aka Entwenga Fikir
Osiris
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 04:13:23 am »

Hm.. this is interesting. I had never really heard much about it. Of course, no one is perfect, and it's hard to imagine how we would personally react to being in such a powerful position no matter how righteous we are...

This topic is something to think about.
JAHBone

Samson Benji, JAHBone Productions

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 01:34:15 pm »

There is so much about His Majesty that we will never know. Study His autobiography and speeches - that is what is crucial, and following that, there is no way around RASpecting Selassie I. Hear what Selassie I wanted the world to know - those are the teachings of His Majesty, no devil philosophy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: